About Safaricom AppWiz
Safaricom Appwiz Challenge in its 2nd year running is a challenge designed to identify developers with interests in Mobile ICT and businesses form start-ups and partner with industry in offering solutions. The challenge is focused on developing ICT businesses through provision of mentorship, training and incubation to allow start-ups further develop their prototype solutions before entering the market. We therefore encouraged the developers to form teams of 3 in order to ensure that their application development and skill set distribution will help them better manage their businesses.
Who is eligible to enter the competition?
All Kenyan citizens who are 18 or over and have skills in mobile application development are eligible to enter the competition.
You must ensure you are available for the full term of the challenge including the incubation phase. Failure to this will result in disqualification from the challenge.
What categories are available for the developer challenge?
- Mobile for Good and community development: This includes solutions in health, education, agriculture, food and water security, environmental conservation and social inclusion.
- Smart Business and Cloud Innovation: including solutions that target SME’s, retail and logistics management.
- Financial Inclusion: These include solutions that assist in economic empowerment and deepening of financial inclusion.
- Youth, Media and Entertainment: including games, social messaging, arts and culture and national heritage.
- Infrastructure and Utilities: that requires solutions that deal with transport, energy and power.
Winners of the Safaricom Appwiz Developer Challenge will receive the following in cash prizes
- Grand Prize Winner – Ksh 1.5 Million (Payable in 3 installments based on milestone achievement)
- Runners up – Each Ksh. 1,000,000 (Payable in 2 installments based on milestone achievement)
- Category winner – Ksh. 200,000 (Payable in 2 installments subject to achieving milestones)
Got more questions? Read the official FAQ Here